The Realbuzz Team made a list of some surprising health facts that might surprised the readerin their article, “10 surprising health facts”. There were also other studies for every surprising fact but the Realbuzz Team made a compilation of their own research and study. Consequently, the Realbuzz Team set out to establish a summary of their study by suggesting that these 10 health facts are really surprising.
Although the author has some good points, not all of these ten health facts are really surprising. In my opinion, fact numbers 6, 7, 8, and 10 are the facts that might really surprised you.
Summary of the article
- Drinking coffee can prevent depression. Women who drank a minimum of four cups of coffee per day could lower their risk of depression by 20 per cent.
- Chewing gum makes you more alert.It reduces feeling of tiredness and can improve overall test scores and memory by 35 per cent. It can also relieve stress and reduce anxiety.
- Sitting at a desk can increase death risk by almost 50 per cent. Office workers who sit for longer than 10 hours a day at their desk had a 48 per cent increase in risk of death, in comparison to people who sat for less than four hours a day. Make sure to take regular breaks to counteract this health risk.
- ATM machines and public toilets are equally dirty. Specialists found out that machine keyboards and public toilets had the same bacteria known to lead to sickness.
- If you are an optimist, it could help you live longer. People who are optimistic have less chance of suffering from heart disease and higher chance of longer lives.
- Smell an apple to prevent claustrophobia.Smelling a green apple relieve the stress associated with confined spaces, prevent headaches and migraines, make houses seem bigger.
- If you are tired then exercise. Exercise improves cardiovascular health which means more blood and oxygen flow around the body, therefore giving you more energy.
- Sit-ups will not give you a flat stomach. This exercise works your abs, not your core muscles.
- Handwriting things can help your memory. When we write something, we listen carefully, digest and summarize the information more effectively.
- To cool down, drink something hot. It might initially makes you feel hotter, but causes you sweat more which effectively cools the body quicker.
Let us read fact number one. The Realbuzz Team cited Harvard School of Public Health as source of the research study about the positive effect of caffeine. However, there are other sources that did not agree with this finding like Mayo Clinic, Mindbodygreen, Livestrong, to name a few. I think the Team refers to the immediate effect of caffeine and the other sources refer to the long term effect of caffeine.
Let us read fact number two. Chewing gum may make you alert probably because chewing exercised the jaw and the surrounding muscles. It can also probably cause blood circulation that affects the brain and the nervous system. Other studies have similar finding.
Let us read fact number three. Too much sitting can increase death risk. Other studies also have similar finding. It can cause obesity, high blood pressure, high blood sugar, excess body fat, abnormal cholesterol levels, and increase risk of death from cardiovascular disease.
Let us read fact number four. No doubt about this one. It is not surprising to note that both places have the same nature. We must wash our hands after using them.
Let us read fact number five. I think the belief that you can live longer if you are an optimist is an old belief. Our mind and body are always coordinated. If you are more optimistic, you tend to have healthier behaviors, better diets, better exercise, and better sleep.
Let us read fact number six. I think smelling an apple to prevent claustrophobia is a surprising new discovery. There are also other benefits of apples based on past studies and research. It may also reduce migraine pain, reduce anxiety, reduce blood pressure, and reduce appetite.
Let us read fact number seven. Now this is really surprising. It could be possible to exercise when tired if you have enough sleep but it is advisable to take a rest if you feel tired. It is the natural way of rejuvenating after the day’s activities. It improves immunity, heals damage, and promotes growth.
Let us read fact number eight. This could be quite surprising because in sit-ups, it appears that your stomach fats are converted to muscles. However, this exercise should be combined with other methods to help your goal of a flat stomach like proper diet, and aerobic exercises.
Let us read fact number nine. Based on my own and others’ experience, handwriting things can really help memory. Through this process, you are listening, digesting, and summarizing the information.
Let us read fact number ten. This is probably the most surprising among the 10 surprising facts. According to a study from the University of Ottawa’s school of Human Kinetics, as the drink is hotter than your body temperature, it triggers a sweat response in the body and therefore effectively cools itself quicker. In my opinion, it is naturally better to drink cold than hot because the objective is to cool down.
Source: Realbuzz Team. “10 Surprising health facts.” https://www.realbuzz.com/articles-interests/health/article/10-surprising-health-facts/
Image source: pixabay