Most people are concerned about health and fitness (physical), but most of them have no idea and have done nothing to improve their mental health.
What is mental health?
Here is one definition from the Word Health Organization.
Mental health is a state of well-being in which the individual realizes his or her own abilities, can cope with the normal stresses of life, can work productively, and fruitfully. and able to make contribution to his or her community.
We can make it short by saying that mental health is our ability to respond to challenges.
What are these challenges?
It could be anything. It could be a sudden encounter with a dog or just anticipating an exam. It could be something physiological, social, or just a plain crush on someone. It could be an argument with somebody, or just a long distance mood like homesickness. There are other countless challenges in life.
Being mentally fit is our ability to bounce back from these challenges and stay in course of our lives.
How do you get these abilities? Are you born with it?
No, but there are two major factors that affect mental health, namely protective factors, and risk factors.
Protective factors such as a sense of self-efficacy, protective family, and strong friendships tend to cushion and support you and making you more likely to maintain a positive mental health.
On the other hand, risk factors such as chronic illness or low socio-economic status can have the opposite of it. These and other related factors can make a negative effect on your mental health.
But the good news is that the protective factors can offset the risk factors.
How can you improve your mental health in case you do not have any protective factors like a strong family protection?
These are the things that you need to do even if you have protective factors.
- Exercise regularly. Exercise can bring oxygen to the brain.
- Read regularly to exercise your brain.
- Boost your Vitamin B level because it is essential to brain health.
- Take time to relax like watching a movie, or anything you like to do.
- Perform mentally challenging tasks such as playing chess or scrabble.
- Try to improve you physical health because this has a great effect to your mental health.
- Learn something new. It could be a skill, hobby, or job.
- Try to join a group discussion or engage in some conversations.
We can say that you are mentally healthy or fit if you can respond to the various challenges of life. If you are not, then you can try those tips above to improve yourself mentally.
Image Source: pixabay